Monday, October 10, 2011

Contentment

It's easy to always wish that something about life was different. Is there ever a time in life when everything is perfect and you don't wish for something else?


You know what? I think my life is pretty much perfect right now.


Sure, my kids fight and misbehave sometimes.... but I am so blessed to have them. They are healthy They really are well behaved most of the time. I enjoy them, and I enjoy having a front row seat on watching them grow up and being such a big part of it. What more could I ask for?


Sure, it would be nice to have more money... but all of our needs have always been provided for. We have dependable vehicles that are paid for. We have a comfortable house in a nice, safe area. We are able to enjoy some extras like going to concerts, going camping, being in sports, etc. What more could I ask for?


I have found myself feeling discontentment in my marriage at times. But I have a husband who loves me. He is not perfect. But the more I find myself striving to be the perfect wife, the more I see him behaving as a perfect husband. What more could I ask for?


Contentment is a state of mind. A choice. You can choose to be annoyed or unfulfilled about nearly anything in life. But you can also choose to find the blessings in the same things: Do you wish you didn't have to go grocery shopping or spend time cooking? How lucky for you to have food available and the money to buy it (there are lots of people in other parts of the world living in poverty with no access to food or clean water). Do you wish you didn't have to get up and go to work? How blessed you are to have a job (there are so many people out of work right now). You are lucky to have a house to clean, a car to fix and put gas in, dishes to wash, a fridge to clean, a house to fix up.


It doesn't always come naturally, but I choose joy.

No comments: