Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A couple people who have babies around the same age as Kaden have asked Tony why we still have Kaden in a rear-facing car seat. The short answer is because it is the safest option. While it's true that we can legally put a baby into a front-facing car seat when they reach 12 months old AND 20 pounds, that doesn't mean it is safe. I didn't always know this. I made the poor decision of turning some of my other kids around in the car seat before I should have because I didn't know any better back then. Babies/toddlers should stay in the rear-facing position until they outgrow the limits of the seat they are in. For Kaden, that will probably happen between the ages of 2-3 years old.

Here's a video that can explain it better, showing the difference between front and rear facing seats. Take a look, and take a moment to reconsider whether or not your child is in the safest position.

3 comments:

Skot Lokers said...

very interesting!

AmyMaggie said...

I didn't know that. I think it is great you have learned about this. It is good to be safe in the car.

Anonymous said...

write a new blog already, it has been over a month! Post pictures of your kids, we miss you all!