Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Look it"

Several weeks ago, I noticed that my kids were saying "look it" whenever they wanted someone to look at something. Since that is such bad grammer, I pointed out that "lookit" isn't a word, and now we are all making an effort to use better grammer. Now that we are aware of it, we notice how much other people say it.

Kaylee is trying to educate the other students in her Kindergarten class. Everytime someone says it, she lets them know it isn't a word. Then when she comes home from school, she gives us a full report on everyone who said "lookit" in her class, and lets us know that she is trying to fix the problem....LOL.

3 comments:

Liz Nyenhuis said...

GO YOU!!! on teaching your children proper grammar. I wish more parents taught their children proper grammar...some people say things and I have to literally bite my tongue to keep from correcting them.

Anonymous said...

I was recently in the 3rd grade class room listening to kids read their stories. One girl actually wrote out the words 'funna' and 'lernt'... as in "I was funna go lernt myself how to speak properly."

The subject of the story was a whole other can of worms... yikes! She was a smart, imaginative child. But the story was something that left me speechless, but apparently seemed normal to her.

awisdom said...

Here it's all one word "lookitmeee" (i.e. look at me)